søndag den 26. december 2010

Warhammer 40k movie

[WARNING WARHAMMER 40K GEEKERY AHEAD]
So, Ultramarines the movie dumped into my mailbox the other day, but I have yet to see it cause I want to enjoy it with my WH40k cronies.

But, this and some of my favorit WH40K novels that I've read these past days I've been ill has got me thinking.
Which novel would make a good Warhammer 40k movie??

well my obvious choice would be the Eisenhorn trilogy. But while the story is excellent and the characters are capturing and the plot twisted and entertaining. Making Eisenhorn into a movie (Gerad Butler as Gregore Eisenhorn and Ann Hattaway as Alizabeth Bequin and Jude law as Cherubael oh hell yeah)
But the problem with such a complex story is that it get the LotR syndrom, it becomes too damn long =( the Rings movies are great, but really. the third was a chore to get through.
And while I love the Eisenhorn books dearly, I'd hate to see them compacted into a movie trilogy and it'd be sad to have just one made. But Xenos could stand alone, But the really interesting stuff only happens in Malleus and Hereticus =/
I mean, the titan Scene for one thing or victory parade in Malleus. No, Eisenhorn needs to be all three movies and that sadly makes it non viable as a first choice for a movie production.

Which on the subject of titans. Titanicus could be a possible candidate also, but while it'd been some serious compacting and cropping. there's a shitload of subplots in that story.
It'd either demand some serious Morris the Explainer or just let the viewer figur out what the hell is going on their own.
So as much as I'd see some of the brilliant engine duels remade for the big screen, I don't think Titanicus would make it past the WH40k fans and action and scifi geeks.

while I got my hands on Abnett's works. I shoot down any idea of Gaunts ghosts. there's just to many bloody characters ^^; a tv series like Band of brothers maybe, but not a movie.

Sandy Mitchells Commisar cain are hilarious action comedies, problem is that much of the charm of the novels is the "internal" dialog. so they work best in writting and I have trouble seeing how that could get translated properly to the bigscreen. so sadly, No Cain and Jurgen.

Graham McNeill's ultramarines books. Uriel Ventris and Pasanius bold adventures, again, there's a shitload of books to choose from. But I'd go with Nightbringer, it's the first book, the characters gets introduced and the plot is fairly simple, so even non 40k fans should be able to grasp whats going on.
I'm not sure if uriel and the other Astartes are entirely relatable consittering they're superhuman, but again, it'd still like to see it on the big screen. =3

Dark Apostle by Anthony Reynolds, this one I'd love to see if nothing more for the sheer novelty of the bad guy being the protagonist and take my word for it, the Word Bearers are definetly the badguys and yet Anthony writes them so well, that occationally I catch myself rooting for Marduk, even if all he wants is to see mankind slavebound and worshipping the gods of chaos.
But the books are well written, the action is intense, the characters and plot intriguing and dark apostle works as a standalone book/film.
No way in hell it'd make PG-13, but fuck that. we're making a warhammer 40k with chaos marines, the most fanatical kind there is, let people see what happens when you take religion to seriously. you get religious verses tatooed on your eyeballs, that's what happens.
Not a likely first choice, but it's steer up a serious pot of controvesy =)

No. my first choice for a Warhammer 40k Movie would be Execution hour by Gordon Rennie. It is a spetacularly well written book. Imagine Master and Commander, in space and gothic.
The action is awesome, the ship battles are so well written that anything you've seen on starwars or Startrek seems dull, so think what it'd look like live action ^^
there's some seriously interesting characters and I think that the novel would need very little trimming to work as a movie.
And Abaddon the Dispoiler as the big badguy, damn not since Darth Vader walked through that door in the first starwars movie has there been a villian with so much menace. ["Show me" said the Despoiler in a voice as cold and harshly unforgiving as the vacuum of space]

So really, it's a tie between Xenos and Execution hour. But since Execution Hour translates better and can stand alone (well so can Xenos, but I've already listed the reasons why it shouldn't =3 )

so there you have it ^_^

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar